Times are tough, and it ain't easy living on a budget. This is especially true when you're the tenth largest economy in the world, and those who are elected to set the budget can't agree on anything. As if the national bickering over stimulus plans wasn't enough, we in California have been experiencing a deadlock of our own in trying to set a state budget. A counter outside Governor
Arnold Schwarzenegger's office provided a constant reminder that every passing second pushed California deeper into debt.

On day 104, or last Tuesday, I found myself watching as the State Senate finally put this budget issue to rest, even if it meant staying all night. Armed with sleeping bags, tooth brushes and sheer determination, these public servants went to work caucusing, and caucusing... and caucusing. A 4 PM scheduled reconvening became 6 PM. Then 8 PM... Then Midnight. Yes, the work day came and went without incident. We ended up packaging a separate story (a member of the State Assembly rescued a drunk driver who was trapped in a burning vehicle after an accident, a much better story) before returning to find that little had changed since our departure.

As we were waited patiently (and the OT started racking up, much like the budget clock), we suddenly heard a commotion in the hallway. Why, it was Senate President pro Tem Darrell Steinberg, and he was gonna make a statement! Snatching cameras from their tripods, the Media Elite stormed towards the hallway to find that Steinberg had already begun his statement, and the scrambeling began to obtain it.
Unfortunately, I was unable to place myslef within the inner ring of the crowd, and was forced to enact the age-old photog strategy of turning the viewfinder towards the ground and hoisting the heaftey camera above the head. A terriffic strategy, for sure, but damnit those things are heavy, and boy do those politicians like to talk.
After several minutes, my elbows began to buckle and the camera began to waver, yet he wouldn't stop talking, slamming the Republicans for their roadblock efforts. Finally, I had to rest the camera on top of my head, forcing my neck to take part in the agony. Of course, I realized that I must look ridiculous, but I figured that I was at the back of the pack and no one would notice the comical display of ENG desperation that my life had become.
Then, two days later, a friend forwarded me an email from another friend, who happened to be reading the
LA Times. Included with the following picture was this comment: "Who is that crazy guy cramped over to the right? I am surprised he still has his job since he was filming the back on someone's head."

Good to see my late night efforts were being recognized. Fortunately, the photo wasn't taken moments later, when my arms gave out and I actually ended up shooting the back of someone's head.
So the following night, I almost got sent back for another late night go-around, but I played the "I'm dayside tomorrow" card and was able to dodge the bullet. The crew that went ended up staying until 6 AM when, believe it or not, the budget was actually passed!! Thank God I missed that one, as I had to be in at 9.
So, after 106 days and a 45 1/2 hour meeting (the longest Senate session in history), the budget crisis has come to an end. Well, there are still drastic cuts being made to schools, public transportation and various other programs, but at least
the Governor finally got to take that counter down.
Good to see that the system still works.
No comments:
Post a Comment