Sunday, August 5, 2007

That's My Sac!

Driving through Sacramento and its surrounding areas, one sees many things that few would believe. If you were to see some of these things in a movie, you'd say "There's no way that could be true, they're trying to pull a fast one on me!" Well I assure you, a fast one is not trying to be pulled. There are many wacky sights that go unappreciated in this world (and especially in this county), which is what leads me to premiere the new Photocalypse segment...

That's My Sac!

Sac Moment #1:

Now, it is common knowledge that rappers, thugs and general miscreants take pride in their "Gold Teef". You see it on MTV, HBO and various other outlets that provide examples for wannabe hoodlums. But where does the everyday shopper go to replace the various teeth that have been knocked out/fallen out from general mistreatment (meth)? Why, Gold Time Jewelers and Gold Teeth, of course! I came across this place while passing through South Sac earlier today. In retrospect, I really wish I had gone in, just to see how the place is laid out. "Here we have our wedding rings. Over here is a variety of fine bracelets, and this is our collection of gold and jewel-encrusted teeth. You are welcome to try any of them on."

Sac moment #2:

I came across this on one of my first days in Sacramento, and I wasn't sure what to make of it. Only a few blocks from my apartment, there is a street called "Manlove Road." Now, having grown up in the Bay Area, I like to think of myself as having an open mind to lifestyles that differ from my own. That being said, one has to wonder who came up with this street's name and what they had to say in order to justify it. There can't possibly be any sort of alternate pronunciation. There's no way to explain that "The French say it 'Mon-Luve'". It is very clearly MAN LOVE. Shouldn't there be some Catholic protesters raising hell about this? Which brings me to...

Sac moment #3:

Now I came across this moment a few weeks back. Down on K street, a small movie theater was showing a movie called "Boy Culture", which apparently focused on the life of a gay male prostitute. Several protesters (a handful, perhaps a baker's dozen on a good day) were up in arms over the fact that a theater would show a film that could corrupt our children by promoting a homosexual lifestyle. Mind you, none of these people saw the film, they just assumed that it portrayed a positive image of gay prostitution. Also, I highly doubt that any parent would take their children to see this film. Thus, I found it hard to understand exactly how this film could corrupt our youth. It ran in this theater for two weeks and then disappeared. No one would have even known it was there if it wasn't for these protesters.

Now let me propose this question to you: What is more harmful to our children... Having a small theater show an R rated movie that kids can't get into, or having a 6 year old holding a sign denouncing sodomy? Does this boy even know what that is? And if he does, isn't there something wrong with that? I find it highly ironic that standing next to this boy is another kid, probably his brother, who has a sign that says "Protect our Children". Am I the only one that is amused by this?

Now, the kicker to this whole fiasco is that these people aren't protesting outside the theater. No, they're protesting outside the Catholic church that's down the street from this theater. They're protesting because those who attend this church aren't out protesting this film with them. They waited until Sunday mass ended, then started shouting at these fine Christian folk, telling them that they are "corrupting our children" and "promoting sin" as they exited the church. None of them had any clue why these people were out there yelling at them. Mission: Befuddled.

Oh, and the kicker to the kicker? The intern that tagged along on this story didn't know what sodomy was. After a brief (and relatively clean) explanation, she kept referring to it as "sodonomy". Priceless.

Stay tuned for further episodes of That's My Sac!

No comments: