Saturday, June 14, 2008

Goodbye to Russert

I'm probably the last one to say it at this point, but I'm sad to see the guy go. Tim Russert didn't catch my attention because of a flashy perosna or because his political views matched mine, but because he seemed to be one of the few real journalists in a vast sea of "journalists". In this society oversaturated with media, it's not often that you see a host that asks real, critical questions in an interview. Russert did good, and he'll be missed.

Actually, he's already been missed quite a bit. For a good day and a half, the 24 hour news networks dedicated their time to wall-to-wall memorial coverage. Suddenly, all the smallest elements of the campaign trail were going un-overanalyzed, and I was freaking out. "What am I supposed to make of that terrorist fist jab? Why aren't you telling me what to think?" Guess that reaction is a testament to the level of respect others had for him. I don't imagine the same for Geraldo in the event that he gets shot while on a terrorist hunt.

Sad to see one of the good ones go. It wasn't too long ago that Russert had a YouTube moment on his show, when that douchebag from the Clinton campaign Terry McAuliffe accidentally referred to Russert's dad as having passed away, when he was very much alive.



Bet he feels like a real jerk now. So long, Russert.

No comments: