Thursday, September 3, 2009

Love for the Public

One of my favorite quotations that I rarely get to cite (because nobody would catch it) is, "I hate the public. The public is stupid." I heard this in a commercial for the show Parks and Recreation, a show that I've never actually seen, and don't particularly care to see, as it is clearly an Office rip-off and Amy Poehler is a no-talent ass clown (catch the reference there?). Still, I remember that quote, and often recite it in my head during my day-to-day adventures.

Now, I'm not saying that all of the public is stupid. Many are quite intelligent, perhaps even more so than myself. But from my day-to-day interactions with the public, I can't help but feel that the afore mentioned quotation holds some credence (one example stands out in my mind). Now, I realize that it isn't necessarily the public in general that's stupid... it's just that anybody with any shred of dignity and/or intelligence wouldn't bother to take the time out of their day to harrass a news crew, who is clearly busy doing their jobs.

I can't tell you how many times I've been tuning in a live shot, frantically yelling at someone over the phone, only to have some yokel wander up and say, "Hey... whatcha fellas doin?" I'm talking on the goddamn telephone. Anything else?

So I know I'm preaching to the choir, so here's where I'm going with this- we had an interaction with a member of the "public", who kept asking questions and wanting to get interviewed while I and a fellow station were setting up our live shots. I shooed him away, hoping that he'd leave me be, but the other crew took advantage of this strange fellow, a man that managed to reaffirm all my biases towards the public.

This reporter, a fellow Cancun adventuree, has a video blog for his station where he just kinda finds strange situations and rambles for a few minutes, which can often be entertaining. Here, he decided to give this loud mouth chap the time of day that he was requesting. It's not too eventful, but you might see a memorable cameo or two in the piece.


Ah, the public. 'Nuff said.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not a huge DeLLoStreetO fan (how do you spell his name, anyway?)...but I very much enjoyed watching him stall the malfunctioning brain of the typical "street bugger"...a term I've just coined, based on alcohol and exhaustion.

Bed time...I have to shoot a CFB game in...like...11 hours. Why the fuck are the Beavs playing so early today? I mean tomorrow.

Note to self: Idea for screenplay -- a man at odds feels over worked and under appreciated...he's trying to get home for his daughters birthday party...instead he is constantly stonewalled by the annoying persons of modern society. The disillusioned man resorts to simple acts of violence as a way to express himself and achieve success in getting home. I'll call it, "Tripping Over"...I'm thinking Michael Douglas for the lead role. Give him a flat top and a short sleeve oxford shirt...that shit would be TIGHT!

Anonymous said...

follow up comment:

I had to shoot lives after the Beaver game today...in the span of about an hour, I had to fend off about 15 Tipzy's...one of which called me a "fucking piece of shit" when I told him I wouldn't put him on TV. Ah...society. Gotta love, em.