Sammy Hagar, the Red Rocker himself, made his way up from Cabo for the Walk and Rock benefit concert. I nabbed an extra photo pass (it's been a while since I've shot a concert), borrowed Don Peso's fancy lil' camera, and hit up Raley Field for a healthy portion of heavy metal.
We had to shoot from mid-field... not quite as exciting as being right in front of the stage, but I wasn't about to complain. And the best part? The good folks putting on the show gave us all tickets so that we could stay and watch the concert after shooting the standard first-3-songs. Beautiful.
I had seen Mr. Cabo Wabo once before, back in high school. It was at an attempted revival of "Day on the Green," a festival that once featured Metallica and Guns N Roses in Oakland. We, being the metal heads that we were, went to the show because Megadeth and Sevendust were playing as well, with Hagar headlining. I had no real interest in seeing him, but he straight-up stole the show. It's just one big party on stage, with fans dancing, pretty ladies running a margarita bar, and Sammy kickin' out some classic party tunes. You just can't argue with that.
Nice mix of his own stuff- Mas Tequila, I Can't Drive 55- with Van Halen tunes- Right Now, Why Can't This Be Love, etc. The guy puts on a good show, I will hand it to him. He knows how to throw a party.
Also performing was Heart. I didn't have much interest in seeing them, and didn't really think I'd know any of their songs other than one or two, but I was pleasantly surprised.
Aside from the new stuff, I recognized pretty much all of 'em, and they sounded awesome. That heavy-set old lady can really wail. Not a bad flautist either.
Overall, a pretty awesome show to find myself at on a warm evening in Sacramento. Let the summer begin!!

No comments:
Post a Comment