While wandering the streets of Sacramento (you may know it as "Sactown") during last month's Second Saturday Art Walk (AKA Free Wine!), I came across a flyer hanging upon a lamp post. Normally, I walk past these without a second thought... but this one caught my eye. It read... Smashing Pumpkins, live at the Crest Theater. Um... huh? First off, the Crest is an indie movie theater in downtown Sac that occasionally hosts live events (such as a Henry Rollins appearance some years ago). Second... the Pumpkins are still around?!
Now, mind you... Today's Smashing Pumpkins isn't quite the same as it was back in my day. That is to say, it is Billy Corgan and a bunch of new people. But to be fair, he still has a chick on bass, an Asian dude on guitar and a (I can only assume) coke-head on drums. I was sad to see it wasn't the same line-up, although I do recall seeing guitarist James Iha playing with A Perfect Circle when I was in college (at the Salem Armory, which is an awful place to see a show... acoustics are terrible). Still, it's pretty darn close, so I'm in! It's certainly better than the modern day version of Guns N' Roses!
After a bit of new stuff, they hit us with plenty of classics- Today, Ava Adore, Cherub Rock, Tonight Tonight... and they sounded fantastic.I was very pleased to find that the small theater they were playing had excellent acoustics. Here's a quick taste of Bullet with Butterfly Wings:

They played for a solid 2 hours, and that's great. But for the last 20 minutes or so, they went into some sort of psychadelic jam session. It was cool and all, but after about 10 minutes I decided to take my seat and wait until they finally hit us with the 2 songs blatantly missing from the set-list: Zero and 1979. As the wild guitar solos came to a close, everyone stood up and started cheering, so I could only assume it was time to tear up the last two classics! So I stood up, to find that everyone had put down their instruments and were leaving the stage. The house lights came up, the exit music started, and people shuffled out. What the hell?! Where are the last two songs?? That's like if Metallica didn't play Enter Sandman... if The Rolling Stones didn't play Brown Sugar... If Prince didn't play that song about partyin' like it's 1999. It kinda put a damper on the whole party, at least in my eyes, and I walked out in shock. I hadn't been this upset since Bon Jovi forgot to play that song from Young Guns 2. C'mon, Billy! C'mon.
That aside, I really couldn't complain. The band sounded way better than I thought they would. They pounded through a good number of classics, and the songs that I didn't know, including some of the new stuff, sounded pretty damn good (A Stitch in Time is worth listening to). It was a great show, and very cool of them to tour in small venues that could be easily sold out. In a place like the Crest, there isn't a bad seat in the house (although we did get some pretty money seats).

No comments:
Post a Comment