If famed beta tape Alfonzo likes two things, it's mingling with well-to-do's and vodka (not necessarily in that order).
Today, Sacramento offered the perfect storm for ol' Alfie. For you see, Dan Aykroid, star of such classics as Caddyshack 2, My Girl and Tommy Boy, was dropping by a local BevMo to promote his Crystal HeadVodka.
Dan and Alfonzo sat down for a brief chat about the finer things in life, such as vodka and Ghostbusters 3.
Overall, it was an interesting experience. It seemed as if he was really hopped up of caffeine... he showed up half an hour early, got the crowd riled up, walked right past the local media waiting to chat with him, and started signing bottles of his premium vodka. I had a chance to throw out two questions- one was the gimme question about his vodka, which he went into in detail without really looking up from his signing, and the other was about Ghostbusters 3, which was summed up with, "I'm its biggest cheerleader, and that's all I'll say."
While he was brief with me, he certainly didn't come off as an asshole, which is what everyone in the newsroom assumed when I returned without much in the way of an exclusive. He seemed like he really wanted to get people filing through because it was hot outside (over 100... in September?!) and he seemed excited to meet the fans. Each was shuffled through hastily (again, it seemed like he drank a shit-ton of caffeine before the event), but he was very polite. He invited kids to come behind the table to take a picture with him, he thanked people for waiting so long in line, he even called one guy back over because he forgot to shake his hand. Hey, I can appreciate that.
He was even willing to scribble his old "Herbie Hancock" (Tommy Boy, anybody?) on Alfonzo, to which he said, "Ha! It's an old beta tape". He seemed more amused by the fact that it was a beta tape than the fact that it had a mustache... but hey, the man knows comedy, so perhaps I'm the one that's wrong.
Nice guy, although I had a little more fun conversing with Ernie Hudson a few months back, who actually stepped outside to chat for a good 10 minutes with me and didn't seem creeped out by me telling him I used to play with his action figure as a toddler.
Still, this means Alfonzo has canoodled with "nearly 75%" (anybody catch that Ghostbusters reference?) of the Ghostbusters. And, by my count, that ain't bad. Harold Ramis... you're next.

No comments:
Post a Comment