Thursday, March 11, 2010

Yeah... I Saw Bon Jovi

Did you know Jon Bon Jovi is still alive? Yeah, that's what I said!

Not only is he alive, but the king of hair bands managed to sell out Arco Arena. I know, right?!

Although I will admit that I helped that happen... Yeah, I was there. And, for the most part, I enjoyed myself. I was completely unaware that they had written anything beyond 1986's Slippery When Wet (which, by the way, inspired the title of 2001's classic high school student-filmed crime drama). I was very much made aware of that fact during this show though. Very much made aware.

They certainly played some of the classics, and during those moments, the show was awesome. They hit You Gave Love a Bad Name on the second or third song, and that was money. Good stuff. But it was a long while before we got any more of the good stuff.

I recognized some songs here and there... Bad Medicine was a notable high moment... but then Richie Sambora came out to play one of his solo songs. Not cool. Then they played half an hour of acoustic stuff out on a bridge in the middle of the crowd. Fantastic if you had the $250 for a floor ticket. If not, it was pretty lame, mostly because nobody knew what any of the songs were.

It wasn't until the encore that they finally played Dead or Alive (that crabbing show theme song) and Livin' on a Prayer. Which, in all fairness, were pretty awesome. But damnit, you know that these people are only here to hear you play the classics, so knock it off with all the new crap. They didn't even play that Young Guns song. Come on, Jon. Come on.

A good show... and props to them for being one of the few hair bands that survived into the modern age and can still sell out an arena... but people are only here to get the classics live. Play the good stuff, damnit. Come on.

3 comments:

rutpop said...

Ok you said it yourself - BonJovi is one of the few bands that survived and can still sell out arenas. The reason for that is because they have evolved and stayed current. Yes everybody loves the old stuff but Bad Name and Runaway would have only gotten them so far.
Ok so I'm a huge Bon Jovi fan but and personally those raraties are the reason I have 7 shows booked so far this tour.
Anyway do yourself a favor and check out their catalogue somewhere between Slippery and The Circle. The These Days album is my all time favorite still, but all the others are major noteworthy too. Take the time to educate yourself, it will be worth your effort.
Cheers!!

crispi2 said...

Maybe YOU only went out to hear the classics.... but there is so much more to the band!! Many of the fans at a Bon Jovi concert go to hear the newer stuff, which if you gave it half a chance, you might like too ... Jon puts on a show like no other, and really brings in the crowd, which you experienced... It seems you've been out of the circle too long... get back in and join the ride!!! :) :) :)

Chris said...

It was a really good show, and I give him props for that. But you gotta play the classics. I've seen the Rolling Stoens a few times, and they do the same thing. Start off and finish strong with big hits, but in the middle they play a bunch of new stuff, and Keith Richards gets to do a solo song... AKA "time for a bathroom and beer break". The guy puts on a good show, and I can't fault him for my lack of knowledge of his recent catalog, but there were definately a few must-plays that were not played. And my goodness, were those tickets expensive! So much for workin' for the workin' man.

Still, a quality arena show, and I'll give the man props.