Saturday, March 20, 2010

Adventures in Mormonland

Perhaps spurred by a recent Mormon encounter, I decided to journey into the depths of Mormonland with a trip to Snowbird, Utah. Ah yes, you can really smell the lack of alcohol on the air!

My brothers and I tagged along with Pops to an annual conference he had going on out there (last year's provided an adventure to Colorado). I had never been to Utah, and to be quite honest, I never really thought there was much to it. Granted, the Olympics were there not that long ago, but still... it never really struck me as a vacation destination. In all fairness, I had the state underestimated. They've got some pretty killer mountains.... and I don't use the term loosely, our hotel was in an avalanche-prone area. Other guests mentioned a time that the hotel went into lockdown during an avalanche. Wild stuff, Utah. Wild.

One notable standout about Snowbird was that it had a pretty sweet tunnel of mystery near the top.

What could possibly be in it? One could only dream. Or one could go in it and find out.

Yeah, it didn't really live up to my expectations, but I suppose they were set pretty high by other tunnels I'd heard so much about.

In addition to the tunnel, another notable highlight was a surprising celebrity encounter. You see that guy at the front of the line... the one in the blue jacket? Could it actually be... Steven Spielberg?!

Upon closer inspection, we found that... sure enough, it was!!

It was awesome to see him out on the slopes, especially considering the fact that it was the morning after the Academy Awards... the one time no one would expect to see him in Utah! Also, I think I heard someone call him Mike. Very clever, Mr. Spielberg. As I slid past him, I said "Thank you for Hook" and gave him a confident nod. He seemed confused... perhaps because he didn't see the film as his finest work. Always the perfectionist.

The hardest part of any vacation is coming back to reality. Don't leave me, Good Times, we've become such close friends!

Of course, no adventure is complete without the obligatory photo of my closest traveling companion. Man, that guy's well traveled.

OK, Utah. Despite some obvious flaws, I'm gonna file you away in the Pretty Darn Cool folder. But seriously, can you get some beer that's got more than 3.5% alcohol? I'm trying to enjoy myself, damnit!

No comments: