Monday, May 28, 2007

Memorial Day Eugene Extaviganza

For Memorial Day weekend, I decided to nab a day or two off and hit the road for my old stompin' ground: Eugene. I figured, what better way to celebrate Memorial Day then with a drunken romp? Well, maybe visiting a memorial or something, but who's got the time these days?

Here are a few hilighted moments from the trip, in no particular order:

The Campus Visit

On my first day back in town, I decided to swing through campus, where I visited with a former professor, good ol' Dr. Dan Miller (with an appearance by CMC). During my short stint at UO, I managed to obtain a parking ticket and the knowlege that I'm going to hell:



Ah, it's good to be back.

The Station Visit

Sitting in Max's Tavern, I found myself watching the 6 o'clock news at my old station. After enjoying the headlines, I decided to swing by and grace them with my presence. Things had definatly changed there. Aside from the obvious changes, there were a lot of new faces and a fairly positive attitude overall. However, many things remained the same, including Lil' Richter watching over the edit bays. Oh, and it was Jason's last day too. Good luck in Bend!

The Drunken Adventure

What's a trip to Eugene without a good swift kick to your liver? Over a night or two, I made it out to booze it up with old pals, former professors and ex-co-employees. Overall, a highly successful venture.



Oh, and Chucko tagged along as well. Here he is drinking a beer and riding a bike in front of Mac Court. Really, would you expect anything less?

And let's not forget the necessary Day-After Supplies! Among other things, I managed to get a serious gash in my finger playing fooseball. It's been a while since lame-yet-bloody injuries were a regular thing.

The Big O

It finally came time to retire The Big O, a staple of my college years in Eugene:

A brief history of the big O- Some years ago, perhaps 5ish, some fine friends were at a local mall, where a Montgomery Ward had just closed down, leaving the gigantic letters from their sign in a nearby dumpster. Noticing that the two "O"s in the name looked just like the Oregon "O", they fished them out and passed one off to me. With a little green and yellow spraypaint and a heafty chain, "The Big O" hung in a tree in my back yard until this past weekend, when it was retired and handed off to a new home, where it will hopefully be as appreciated as it was in mine.

The Film Production

While in town, I managed to round up the old crew of The Rocky Road Underground to begin production on a "Behind the Music" style documentary on the band. Despite an inhibiting hangover, spirits ran high as the video rolled. Stay tuned for further updates.



Oh, and be sure to check out the RRU here, with a few full-length tracks to come soon!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Menino looked like she missed me. She did, didn't she? At least mini-paper-me is still around for people to fear and respect...or mock at the very least.