Tuesday, March 11, 2008

The Concert that Almost Wasn't

I've always been a fan of a good old-fashioned rock concert. Pounding some beers and banging your head for a few hours seems like a fine way to spend an evening if you ask me. However, Sacramento only occasionally gets any decent acts coming through town, as they usually hit the SF Bay Area instead (about 90 minutes away). So when I saw someone decent coming through town on my day off, I jumped at the opportunity.

The band was Linkin Park, and let me preface this by saying that I used to very much dislike these guys. Back when they first came around, I was fairly outspoken about my hate for their lame rap/rock hybrid music. A few years later, I caught them opening for Metallica and, while I had no interest in seeing them, I had to admit that they put on a heck of a show.

So anyway, a few years later their new album comes out, produced by music god Rick Rubin... I decided to give them another chance, started to find a new appreciation for their music, and I found myself at Arco Arena last night watching a killer rock show.

However, it almost didn't come to be, as a result of my own stupidity, and here's why...

So I've got the whole evening planned out- we'll leave around 6, hang out for a bit and grab a beer before heading to the show, and arrive towards the end of the sub-par opening acts, with plenty of time to pound another beer or two before the real show starts. It was a beautiful plan.

With about an hour to go before I had to leave, I decided to kill some time by cleaning out my car (which still has things in it from my big move over a year ago). I put the keys in the ignition so I can get some rockin tunes going, unlock the back of the car to begin the process, and find that, for some reason, the back of the car is still locked. I go back to the front door, only to discover that I hit the LOCK rather than UNLOCK button, and there I stood, staring at my keys locked in the car, with time ticking away before the concert.

With five minutes to go before the apartment office closed, I bolted through the complex to get the spare key for my apartment, with hopes of finding the second set of car keys burried somewhere in my desk. I caught the apartment lady just as she was locking up the office! Disaster averted. But wait... my apartment is, for some reason, the only one without a spare key! So now I was in trouble. Car keys locked in car. Apartment key attached to car keys. Concert tickets locked in apartment. Time ticking away.

After realizing that my apartment couldn't be broken into (which I suppose is a good thing) and that busting out a car window would probably be more trouble than it's worth, I frantically called AAA. Despite being in the midst of rush hour, they actually got a tow truck out to me in about half an hour (which I spent frantically pacing around the parking lot).

Sure enough, he jimmied open the door within minutes, I retrieved my keys, and actually left on schedule! Thanks AAA!

So as you can see, I have a knack for making simple things more difficult than they should be. After that hour, I really needed a way to let out all of my angst and frustration. Fortunately, I knew some guys...


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Horray!

I too hated Linkin Park. I too find their most recent album to have some tolerable songs. One such song was played at halftime of the Beaver game last Saturday. The OSU dance team (all chicks in spandex) had a little "routine" to go with it. It was NIIICE!!!

On another note, Henry Rollins is coming to the Eug in late March. I'll be going again, of course.

On yet another note...we need to talk about the trials in June. Turns out, you need more than a press pass to get it. You need your name put on a list, so it can be run for background checks. That list, apparently, was turned in by my bosses a month ago. I regret to inform you, your name wasn't on it. You should come up anyway, though. I hear the whole block around Hayward Field is going to be consumed with TV booths and such. Things you probably won't need a press pass, or name on a list to gain access to.

This is officially the longest comment I've ever left on any blog. I probably should have just emailed you. Too late now.

One other thing...
Uh...
I guess that's it.

Anonymous said...

wanna know what's really dumb?

on sunday morning i went to church and on the way home i took the freeway...the arden exit...guess who's bus/trailer i saw!!!!
linkin park...
i am still kicking myself for not going over to the hotel later in the afternoon to see if i could talk to them.

i didn't know they were going to be in town....but i feel i was supposed to meet them because on thursday i went to the bookstore and picked up their cd to listen to it...i didn't know which album to get...i was listening to various albums at borders on fair oaks...

second clue: same week i found a cool youtube video that wasn't linkin park related and i wrote to the author of the video to find out what the song was...and they are a subscriber to linkinpark on youtube...so i checked out their channel...i also researched them on wiki and that was the extent of it

third clue: they are in sac 5 minutes away from me....so easy to just walk in and say hi...at least i think it is but maybe i am wrong...

fourth clue, after the fact: researching another topic on internet and see pics of meteora in greece and i recall that an album was named meteora...so i look it up and they named it for this place...they were inspired by the monasteries there...then i think to myself...hmmm...i wonder if they check out greek type churches a lot...there is one closeby....i am tempted to ask if they went to church to this greek church in sac...that would just kill me even more if they did...i mean how stupid can i be??? that close to meeting and talking to them....arggghhhh!!!!

Anonymous said...

the reason i didn't go is because when i thought about going there i didn't know what i would say and how would they receive me? would they laugh at me or roll their eyes and look at me like i am a weirdo...well i checked out their pics today...and i think they look weirder than me. lol i think i look normal compared to them but anyway...yeah that was another thing...i didn't know what they looked like.