Sunday, March 16, 2008

Shock-and-Awesome!

Nothing says America like big, bad-ass killing machines! Despite the finest efforts of a handful of protesters presenting signs that made wacky declarations like "War planes are killers!" the Sacramento Air Show went off without a hitch this weekend, displaying the might of the US military in a good ol' fashioned shock-and-awe style.

It had been a while since I had gotten around to attending an air show. Last summer I was blessed with the coolest assignment of all time- flying on a refueling plane for the Thunderbirds during the air show, but I hadn't seen one from the ground since I was a young kid, when we went into San Francisco to watch the Blue Angels. Now, some 15 or 20 years later, I was just as impressed by the technical skill and kickassitude of these pilots.

The whole time, I was thinking that the air show is just a classic way of flexing a country's military muscles. It's like that giant guy at a bar who breaks a bottle over his head when you hit on his girl... you understand that you just need to back away. This is why I think the military needs to start preforming these air shows over any countries that pose a potential threat. Just send the Blue Angels screaming past the leader's castle (or whatever). "Wow, look at how close they are to each other... I wouldn't want to see what they could do when they get mad!" International crisis averted, and all the children of the country get to enjoy the performance! Everybody wins!

It's hard not to be impressed by these guys. Perhaps one day I'll have a jetfighter of my own. Then people would respect me...

2 comments:

turdpolisher said...

As long as you have a camera on your shoulder, people will never respect you!

Lenslinger said...

Tru dat, Turd. Tru dat.

Great pictures Duff. One of 'em's my current computer wallpaper. Reminds me of my youth spent on the outskirts of an Air Force town. Good times!