Following the leisurely dining experience provided complements of Bistro 33, the crew decided to stroll down to the Capitol and take a glance at the day's "No on 8" rally. Following last month's Prop 8 adventure, I figured it'd prove to be an interesting outing.
Proposition 8, an effort to ban gay marriage in California, passed on election night by a few percentage points. Every day since, anti-8 rallies have been held at the Capitol and around the state. Today's provided a much larger effort than in the past days, with people busing in from as far away as Orange County. It was an impressive showing, far outdoing the "Yes on 8" clan, both in size and sign cleverness.
Too bad these rallies didn't reach this size before the election passed the proposition. We strolled the crowd, appreciating signs such as "I think the Pope is hot" and "I can't legally marry my lover but I can marry my cousin". As it turns out, no beer garden was set up and no kettle corn was being sold, but it was still an impressive showing.At least one thing's clear in this city: if you're bored, just take a walk, and you're certain to stumble upon something to occupy your time with.
UPDATE
The always entertaining and often times intelligent Kieth Olbermann summed up Prop 8 quite well on last night's Countdown:

No comments:
Post a Comment