I might be dating myself by saying this, but when I was starting sixth grade, the first "grown-up" book that I picked up was a beat-up paperback copy of Jurassic Park that my mom found at a garage sale. Having seen the movie not long before, I decided to tackle the 399-page monster, which was three times larger than any book I had faced before. I decided that I was going to finish it, in addition to my daily schoolwork, and it was the first book that I ever became enthralled with. The ragged book still sits proudly on my bookshelf.
Any time an English class would call for a book report to be done on a book of our choosing, I'd reach for another Crichton. The Great Train Robbery, Sphere, and Congo made up a good portion of my early literary exposure. As I got caught up with his back catalog, he'd release a new book every few years, which would be given to me as a Christmas present from the parents. I remember starting Timeline by a fire on Christmas Day in 1999 and not being able to put it down until I'd blown through the first hundred pages, even if I was neglecting visiting relatives.
While there is certainly better literature out there, Crichton's books always connected with me. Beign a graduate of Harvard Medical School, he brought a scientific background to his adrenalin-infused brand of science fiction. He would create a bizarre science fiction nightmare, whether it be dinosaurs, super-monkeys or alien ships, and explain scientifically how it could all actually happen. It wasn't just space wars or monsters, it was a textbook in nanotechnology, or gene patentening, or Japanese business culture in America. Many of his books ended witn a long annotated bibliography, directing the reader to further works on the topics that he had covered in the book. Too often, his books were turned into sub-par summer blockbusters, which really took away from the essence of his books: a science lesson made cool.
Every other Christmas or so, my parents would get me his newest book and I'd read it over the holliday. Most recently was Christmas 2006: his book Next, an exploration into the world of genetic experimentation, both in the labratory and in the courtroom. I read it as I moved into my new apartment in Sacramento, moving to a new city for the first time by myself. A few weeks ago, I realized Christmas was approaching and checked out his website to see if there was a new book I should be asking my parents to get me. The site provided no details into his latest work, and I wondered, "What's the deal?"
On Tuesday, Michael Crichton died of cancer at the age of 66. Appropriately, I found out through my mom, who sent me an email this morning. It wasn't until then that I realized how I could trace my growth, from the age of 12 to 25, by simply glancing at my bookshelf. I'm sad to see that I'll no longer be able to carry on this small tradition, and that the world has lost one of its great creative minds.

3 comments:
I can't keep up with this daily blogging of yours.
Wow, I didn't know that either. I also have many of his books. My first book by him was the Terminal Man. A man killing people with his mind....great. The one book-to-movie that was better as a movie was definitely the 13th Warrior.(Eaters of the Dead -book) That book just confused the crap out of me, but the the movie rocked!!
Yeah Eaters of the Dead was confusing, I guess he wrote it on a bet that he could make an interesting version of Beowulf. I was actually impressed with Disclosure's movie version, I read the book first and didn't think it'd translate well into a movie, but it was actually quite good.
Post a Comment