Sunday, April 26, 2009

Wyclef and the 'crats

When it comes to a party, everyone knows that you've gotta have live music if you're gonna impress anybody. So when San Francisco mayor Gavin "It's Inevitable" Newsom came to Sacramento promoting for his run for California governor, you know he's gotta bring some big guns if he's gonna make an impression.

So what does he do? He and former NBA all-star mayor Kevin Johnson show the convention of California Young Democrats how to throw a party.

But you can't just close down a street and throw up a stage in midtown Sacramento unless you're really ready to party. And while Newsom can't quite compare to the previous bids for governor, he certainly brought a fine party to town.

The "exclusive" block party featured none other than the former-Fugee Wyclef Jean, who appeared after a (thankfully) short speech by the candidate. And it was quite the party.

Now, I will say that I've never been a fan of the Fugees or Wyclef himself. Not that I have anything against them, but it's not my usual iTunes fodder. That being said, I have to admit that this guy was awesome. I didn't know any of his original stuff, but he threw in a handfull of Bob Marley tunes, along with the House of Pain classic Jump Around, which combined with some lovely springtime weather added up to a pretty sweet night on the town. I'm not saying I'm ready to vote for ol' Gav, but he definitely gained some bonus points after this party.



I know it's early to kick-start another election season, but as long as candidates keep coming with events like this, I say bring it on! The standard has been set, Jerry Brown... what's your retort?

No comments: